Saturday, August 1, 2020

HAUNT (2019) REVIEW

   I just got done watching Haunt on the Shudder horror app. Haunt is a 2019 movie that is an American slasher film that debut first at the Popcorn Frights Film Festival and later got a premiere at FrightFest over seas. Then finally got a limited release by Momentum Pictures. Directed by Scott Beck and Bryan Woords, and had Eli Roth as a producer. All reviews have been mostly positive from critics and audiences. I have been interested in giving it a chance, so when my wife suggested it, I put it on.
   The movie Haunt takes place on Halloween in Illinois. A group of friends are out partying for Halloween when they go out looking for a good haunted house. They find one that promises to feed on there darkest fears. The group soon finds out that this is no normal haunted house and must try and survive a horrifying nightmare.
   I have mixed feeling about this movie but before I get hate, let me explain. I really enjoyed this movie for the plot, kills, and originality of the story and characters. Had some great gory kills, yet was not over the top with the gore. I jumped with a few great jump scares, which is always a big plus for me. Haunt does not take a hour to set up the characters and gets right into the plot of friends looking for a good time. Pretty much everything you want in a horror movie. 
   The issues I have with the movie is, and I will try do this without any spoilers, the way the characters act in the movie. I get the whole cliche of a "dumb teenager" in horror movies, but this goes over the top. When they had weapons to defend themselves they get ride of them or leave them behind. They added parts to the movie to make you feel for a certain character that was not necessary at all. I am guessing they are trying to get you to feel more for that character, but if they had all that removed it would not have changed the main plot at all. In horror movies there is always some dumb decisions made, but more then one takes the cake in the movie. And how can they play that bad version of Rob Zombie's Dragula at the end of the movie?
   With all that said, the things that I didn't like did not out way the things I did like. I would definitely give this another watch. If you are wondering what those things are that I didn't like or thought could be taken out, I can discuss in the comments with you, just ask.  
   Overall Haunt is well worth the watch. Entertaining with some good scares and story. A good choice for a nighttime movie with popcorn and scare. Available for rent on Amazon Prime, Vudu, and YouTube. Free on the Shudder app.

No comments:

Post a Comment