Wednesday, October 21, 2020

MIKEY (1992) REVIEW


   I remember the first time watching this movie with my cousin when I was ten or eleven at my grandma's house. See back in the day there was something called a "Black Box". Well my cousin Ernie and I use to watch a bunch of movie that would probably shouldn't have been. Mikey was one of the those movies. I was scrolling through on Amazon Prime when I saw it sitting there under the free movies. My eyes lite up when I saw it and knew that I wanted it to be my first blog post after a few months off. 

   Mikey is a 1992 American psychological crime slasher. Stars Brian Bonsall as Mikey, a adopted young boy with seems innocent. His teacher Shawn Gilder, played by Hellraiser's Ashley Laurence, starts to suspects Mikey is not so innocent. Mikey show his new family what kind of violent psychopath he really is. 
   I have not watched this movie in about twenty years, yet was still entertained the whole time. Rated R cause of the violence, Mikey over all is not a bloody or even gory. It is not needed in this movie, but a little more blood would have been nice. What makes this movie good is how well Brian Bonsall played Mikey. Turning being innocent or psychotic on and off so easily. Making you wonder when and who he was going to turn on. 
   Mikey was banned from release in the United Kingdom following the James Bulger murder in 1993 in Liverpool. The murder was of a two year old boy by two ten year old boys. The BBFC refused to issue a release for the movie, it is still banned from the United Kingdom till this day. 

   Mikey is a different  kind of slasher/horror movie then your normal supernatural killer movie. Mikey is a smart slasher movie that I like cause its so different. As much as I love the Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers, Chucky classic slasher movies, this brings a fresh take on the whole genre. Its a good movie if your looking for something different in the slasher/horror department. And speaking of Freddy and Jason, one of there tag lines for the movie is, "Remember, Jason and Freddy were kids once, too." Which always makes me smile, don't know why I like that so much, but I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment