Saturday, December 30, 2017

DON JOSE'S MEXICAN RESTAURANT FOOD REVIEW

   Don Jose's Mexican Restaurant in Castro Valley, California has some great memories for me when I was in and after I graduated from high school. I use to frequent that place all the time, they had the best salsa. I remember one time a friend and I went there just for some chips and salsa cause they were so good. Back then, that was my spot, I took many dates there. Now a days the food, not as good though.

   I had been to Don Jose's in a few years, then went back to be disappointed. The food was not as I remembered, and the salsa tasted like tomato paste. I could not believe that one of my favorite spots had gone down so much in just a few years of me being there. After that experience, I said that I would not return. So I moved on from a place that was a go to for me.

   That must of been nearly eight or more years ago since the last time I had eaten at Don Jose's. Well last night, I visited the restaurant for my sister's birthday. She likes going to Don Jose's, and goes often. So for her birthday, we all got together and headed over for dinner. I didn't have high hopes for the food, thinking it must be the same. I was pretty much right about my feelings.

   We got our chips and salsa, as you do at all Mexican restaurants. We also ordered guacamole and a mild bean dip. Now there was a different taste of the salsa, it no longer tasted like tomato paste. It now had a taste of V8, yes, you read that right, it had a taste of the vegetable drink V8. The guacamole was bland, needed a lot of salt and maybe a squeeze of lime. I'll have to give it to the bean dip though, it was pretty good, and very cheesy. 

   Now on to the main course of dinner. I had the Chile Verde with rice and beans with corn tortillas. 
Chile Verde is a favorite of mine, I made it at home all the time. Its a pork covered in a green Verde sauce slow cook to be tender and fall apart easily. The pork, which is already a salty meat, was bland. I need to add a lot of salt to kick up the favor. The rice needed a kick also of slat. I felt like it needed more of the tomato sauce that is used to cook it. Once again though, the beans were good. Seems like they got there beans down good.

   Now having said all this, the service was awesome. Our waitress, who's name I didn't get, was there that right amount, not to much or to little, to check on us, and our drinks were never to low or empty. She made sure we was very comfortable and had everything we needed. Even the GM Oric came by to check on everything, and was very friendly. The service was the best thing of the night. Okay, one more thing, the dessert they brought my sister after they sang happy birthday to her was really good. Ice cream with whipped cream on top of a crispy cinnamon tortilla, very good.

   Having finally been back to Don Jose's after so many years, my opinion really has not changed. Yes the people there are great, really friendly with great service. But when I go to a place to eat, I want the food to be good. I could almost take a little bad service if the food is really good, but good service with so/so bland food will not get me to come back. It's a shame to, I really liked that place. Still hold some really good memories for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment