Wednesday, May 27, 2020

BIRDS OF PREY REVIEW

   Harley Quinn has always been a favorite character of mine from the DC Universe since she debuted in the cartoon Batman: The Animated Series. I was excited to find out she was going to be brought to the big screen when she was in the Suicide Squad, which is not everyone's favorite movie, but I thought it was okay. With her popular soaring even more after Margo Robbie portrayed her in the Suicide Squad, it was a no brainier to have her star in her own movie. And with the big competition DC has in what Marvel has done with there superhero universe, it also makes sense to expand there's with spin off movies like this one.

   In Birds Of Prey Harley and The Joker have broken up which leaves Harley open to being attacked by her enemies. When with The Joker, she had immunity, but now running solo had a huge target on her back. She is also trying to show people she should be feared, and that she is more then The Joker's girlfriend. Harley's biggest threat is The Black Mask and his right hand man Victor Zsasz. When she starts to get out numbered, she will find unlikely allies in three dangerous women in The Huntress, Black Canary, and Renee Montoya.

   I am going to get right to the point on how I feel about this movie......I hated it! I could not stand how they told the story. The movie keeps going back and forth between flashbacks to tell the story. Then they don't even come back to the same spot they left from, and then do another flashback to explain how they got to the point they are at now from the last flashback. The flashbacks are way to long also. I was excited when I heard about this movie coming out, but that changed from the first trailer. Right away I felt like this movie would struggle, and it did. The movie moved along so slow, and that partially because of the use of the whole flashback scenes.

   Now about the characters! I din't like how they portrayed Black Mask, but I hated how they portrayed Victor Zsasz. Black Mask is suppose to be this brutal iron-fisted crime load, but comes off as silly. Victor Zsasz is such a great comic book character. He is a sadistic/psychopathic serial killer who carves a tally mark into his own skin every time he kills someone. In Birds Of Prey he is just some henchman who is more of a bumbling idiot who get pick pocketed by some random kid. I also feel like Huntress was just a after thought thrown into to have an extra powerful woman in the "Birds Of Prey" gang.
   I get that they are trying to show "women power" in this movie, but down grading every male character or making it look like every guy on earth are evil is just dumb. There is nothing wrong with a strong female lead, and don't mind seeing it in movies. It was just not done right in the movie. And no appears by The Joker didn't help, even if it was just a scene where they are breaking up.

   My most hated superhero movie is Iron Man 3. Anyone who know me, knows the hate I have for that movie, and is in my opinion is the worst Marvel movie of the current Marvel Universe. I can at least watch it, and throw my hate for it as I do. I was bored watching Birds Of Prey. I don't think it has any rewatch value at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment