Sunday, May 24, 2020

GRETEL AND HANSEL MOVIE REVIEW

   When I saw the previews for Gretel and Hansel knowing the fairy tail it was based on, I thought to myself, "This should be good, no way they could screw up this movie". A movie based on the tale of two children wondering through the woods and coming across a house made of candy and cake with a witch who wants to fatten up children to have for supper, that has horror all over it. Now you throw in Sophia Lillis that was great in both IT movies, showing she has some good horror chops and possibly a scream queen in the making, they are stacking up for a great horror movie.


   Gretel and Hansel does tell there own story with similarities to the fairy tale. After the death of there father and there mother going crazy threatening to kill Gretel and Hansel if they stay home, the kids are forced to leave and fend for themselves in the woods. Wondering the woods hungry and scared, they come across a house filled with food and no one around. After sneaking in to the house, the owner appears and seems to be friendly and wanting to help the two sibling. But looks could be deceiving and they soon start to wonder what they got themselves into.
   With all those great elements stacked up for what should be a great horror movie, it fell flat hard. This hour an a half movie felt like it was three hours. They try to rely on some jump scars at the beginning of the movie that where not jump worthy at all. There are scenes, I get that they seem to be setting up things later in the movie, by dropping hints for some foreshadowing that where not necessary. I found myself falling asleep and waiting for a jump scar, something gory, a creepy feeling....anything! But the movie left me with two feelings, bored and happy. Happy you ask? Yes, happy that I didn't pay for this movie in the theaters, and had watching it on a Netflix DVD rental.

   Now having said all that, it was a beautifully shot movie. The woods, the house, and some other scenes that would give away the movie looked great. There was one scene that could have been real creepy and looked good, but left me wanting more then what they gave me. This is a movie I did not enjoy, but I will always encourage you to form your own opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment