Monday, May 4, 2020

MOVING TO OUR OWN SPOT


   At the start of the year in February we got the news that the owner of the house we were renting was going to sell it. We had ninety days to get out and find a new place. Now lets go back a little, I had to move back in with my parents back in 2006 after I had a work injury that would put me out of work for four years. Within those four year I had three surgeries on my right wrist. Needless to say I have not been in a good spot financially to live on my own in California.


  
Within this time frame I had also gotten married. Did not feel great having to live with your parents with a new wife in your parents garage. But if I was going to rent out a room, might as well be with family. My wife at the time did not have a high paying job working retail. I was a heating and air/ appliance repair tech and made enough money that she could keep working those jobs and we were good money wise. I was working for a company that does not take care of there injured employees and would rather blame a random accident on the person getting hurt then to just be worried about there injured worker.

   Being out of work for four years and not bring in money, bills and debt built up. Got to the point that I stopped paying my student loan and some credit cards to make sure I could pay the rent my parents asked me for and to pay my truck payment. When the workers comp ended, the truck got reposed. I got put in a pit of debt, and living in California, while beautiful, is way to expense to try and live on your own when not making good money. I did get a settlement, but that all went towards a new truck.

   Both my wife and I have way better jobs now, and had planned to move out by 2021 after we got few things paid off. Credit score is way better, and other then my car payments and normal bills like cell phone and insurance, things are pretty much under control. We just wanted to make sure we was more on top of thing before we got our own place.

   Finding out that we had ninety days to find a new place put a big monkey wrench in our plans. Luckily we got a place not to far from where we where, and my brother in-law moved in with us to split the rent. Got to clean out my storage that we have been paying on for a little over four years. That is going to be nice to save that extra money, and we can use if to help lower some of those car payments faster. Still got a few boxes left to unpack at the time of writing this, but that all will be done soon.

   One thing that makes me laugh is a bunch of friends and family saying things like,"Must feel good to FINALLY be on your own". Well this is not the first time I lived away from my parents and on my own. I had to move back in with them after I got hurt. And yes it may seem to be as old as I am and just now moving out again, but I only moved back in with them at the time cause I had no choice. No way did I want to spent half my twenties and thirties still living with my parents. I just went with the hand I was dealt. It was apart of my life that I had to deal with, and I have had people think it was sad that I was living at home. Oh well, I did what I had to do.

   It does feel great though, coming home to MY place and just kicking my shoes off, not worried about other people in the house other then my wife. And yes my brother in-law, but he is hardly home and its different situation then the one with my family. Life is not like the movies/TV where you just move out, find a place, and everything is hunky dory. Real life throws curve balls at you, and its how you handle those curve balls that make that helps build character. After twelve years of marriage, we have our own place, its been a journey, but that is what life is.

No comments:

Post a Comment