Monday, June 1, 2020

2019 MA MOVIE REVIEW

   Back in May of 2019 Blumhouse Productions released the movie Ma. Listed as a psychological/suspense horror staring Octavia Spencer, Diana Silvers, Juliette Lewis, and Luke Evans. I remember seeing the trailers for Ma and thinking, this seems different, I definitely want to check it out. Well Godzilla King Of The Monster came out at the same time, and well Godzilla won for that weekend. Next thing I know, its a few months later and it was out of theaters. With me just getting the HBO Max app and it being on it, I saw that as a perfect opportunity to check it out.

   The plot of Ma is a middle-aged woman befriends some high school teenagers after they ask her to buy alcohol for them. Offering her basement as a place to party after getting busted out in the open, the high school kids think they found the Holy Grail for a place to get drunk. All Ma asks is no cursing, don't go upstairs ever, and you must prove that your sober before you leave. Oh yeah, and to call her Ma. All seems great until Ma starts obsessing over the teens, making some of them second guessing who Ma really is.

   Over all I did enjoy this movie even though I feel like they did missed the mark on a few things. There are flash backs to Ma when she is in high school that help you understand why is the way she is. And the movie is halfway is a revenge movie, even though it don't start off that way. And that is where I can see they missed that mark. If anything this movie should have been a revenge thing from the start. Instead we get a woman desperate for attention, and when they teenagers start to figure out Ma might not be the person she seems to be, things turn ugly. They should have focused on one or the other and not thrown both at you.
   I just feel like they went from everything is great with them partying in the basement to they are starting to get creeped out by Ma to fast. Yet even after they all say never to go there again, go back for a friends birthday party. If anything I wish there had been more things that made them wary of the person Ma is. And the fact that when not only the teenagers and parents start figuring things out, it takes forever for them to call the cops.

   I do have to say that Octavia Spencer who plays Ma was the best thing about this movie. I also really liked the best friend character in McKaley Miller who plays Haley, but that mostly cause she speaks her mind and tells it like it is, reminds me of someone I see when I look in the mirror. The rest of the kids just seem blah, just there to be there. Oh and the pastor's daughter....a waste of a character, what was that all about? 

No comments:

Post a Comment