Sunday, June 7, 2020

THE TURNING MOVIE REVIEW

   Released in January of 2020, this movie was a passion project for executive producer Steven Spielberg. The Turning is a supernatural horror film that takes place in 1994. I missed this movie in the theaters, even though it did peaked my interest when I saw the trailer. Plus it was starring Finn Wolfhard from Stranger Things and IT. The movie is based on the 1898 ghost story by Henry James' The Turning OF The Screw.

   The Turning is about a young nanny named Kate who takes a job to take care of a little girl who's parents had passed on. After moving into the little girl's mansion home. All seems to be well until little girl's brother shows up from boarding school. Shortly after strange events start happening plaguing Kate. Kate starts to wonder if the mansion is haunted or if its all in her head.

   I was not a fan on how it ended. As I was watching the movie I was wondering where they was going with it. Are the kids really dead this whole time, was it all in Kate's head, was the older brother evil, or maybe the kids are being possessed. As the movie went on there was a few possibles. Movie has two different endings and I read that the ending they used is not the true ending.
   For the ending that was used, I wish they would have put more into Kate's fear of being like her mother. That would make more sense for how it ended. I try to stay away from spoilers so I will leave it at that, but the way it did end made less sense since they did not explore that more. I can't say that I was not entertained during the movie, but the ending really made me go,"WTF", and not in a good way. This is more then just a supernatural horror, they try to get into your head with everything going on, and I think they missed the mark on that. Not sure if I would give this another watch. Finn Wolfhard is the best thing the movie got going on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment